Thursday, November 24, 2005
Great encouragement for me
So tonight, after going to the musical with Dan and Kyla and Jana, (which was extremely unusual and impossible to understand, by the way) we headed over to Tim Hortons for quite a while and sat and chatted about a bunch of things. Jana took off to work and so left the three of us there in our conversation. And as has been happening more often lately, usually when I'm around Dan, a religious discussion breaks out. Now, I love when this happens and I only wish that it would happen more among us. But.......at the same time.....being involved in discussions of this nature tend to make me feel inferior and somewhat stupid. Usually I tend to do much much more listening than talking because I feel as if I don't know my Bible well enough to even have a valid opinion about anything. Which also seems weird to me as I have done quite a bit of Bible reading in my short Christian life thus far. I've read it cover to cover once and as of December 31st of this year I will be done it for the second time, as well as much additional reading all around in there. And yet, I feel like I've completely missed everything important. I feel like I can't say what I'm thinking because in the moment I feel like I don't even know if what I'm thinking has any validation whatsoever. Like everything that I've always thought that I've known is suddenly being questioned and I don't know anything about what I think I know. If that makes any sense to anyone. Especially around Dan. I feel like he knows his Bible so well that he has such a firm basis for all his thoughts and opinions. LIke he just knows exactly what he's talking about all the time. In a way it's kinda crappy that I feel this way. Obviously I'm not stupid and I do know a lot of things and my thoughts and opinions do have a basis and are valid. But on the other hand....I guess maybe...being around Dan makes me want sooo badly to dive soo much deeper into my Bible than I ever have before. I feel like I want to read it all the time and learn as much as I possibly can. Dan's knowledge and his passion for what he knows and believes, makes me want to have more of that. I want to learn as much as I can about this book that God has given us. I want to understand it as much as my human mind is capable of, and I want to have great confidence in what I believe. I want to know Jesus better, and have as intimate a relationship with him as I can. I like feeling like I'm being challenged in this way. Because as of right now I feel as if I have no place in religious discussions, because what I have learnt is minimal in comparison to those around me. Now, I don't on any means want to be comparing my faith or myself to that of others, but it is just encouraging me to become sure in my walk with God. To just live life with him....him and I....I and him...together....and be so sure and confident in that. I pray that this is something I will never forget or lose sight of. That I will always have a great desire to grow and learn more and draw closer to Jesus. It's been a great lesson for me lately, I guess. And I'm really grateful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Kristan...I am exactly the same way. I wish I knew my stuff better so I could actually participate in discussions like that. But its also fun to just sit back and listen, you can really learn a lot from that too!!
Hey kristan...i completley agree wiht you there...i feel so stupid when that discussion comes up and i feel so convicted to do soemthing about it hahaha..
Kristan - I think there are times when we all feel this way, no matter what "stage" of our walk with Jesus we are in.
There are seasons of quiet, listening, learning & taking it in.... and then there are seasons of speaking, sharing, verbal passion & giving.... so don't feel weird about just sitting there & thinking.
I am glad that you were so encouraged by this - I think you are on the right track!
BTW - I had a really great time hanging out with you yesterday. Stop in whenever you like! I'm not always there, but you're ALWAYS welcome. :)
LoveT
(Those two words that appear to be missing are: (a) ALL & (b) ALWAYS... supposed to be in italics but for some reason the tags didn't work.)
(Bye.)
Post a Comment